9 year old rescue sharpei – spey or not?2018-05-21T09:51:16+00:00

Home page of the Shar Pei rescue Forums Ask a vet 9 year old rescue sharpei – spey or not?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

we adopted 9 year old Sheila 3 months ago, she’s such a sweetheart and we adore her. We took her to the vet as soon as we adopted her and he gave her a clean bill of health. Sheila has not been speyed and we discussed this with the vet who advised us not to worry about it.. however I’ve been reading up about pyometra and I’m very concerned of the risk of her contracting this.

i guess my question is really would you recommend speying at her age? The vet nurse seemed very eager that we get her speyed but the vet was inconcerned and now I’m very confused!

I just want the best for my girl, and I’m terrified she’ll get poorly because of something we haven’t done.

Thank you for your time.

Jonathan Hadley
    Participant

Dear Grommit,

Whilst there would be concerns about anaesthetising an older patient I would still consider neutering Sheila as there is a risk of developing a uterine infection, particularly in the older bitch. There are procedures that can help her through the anaesthetic and your vet will discuss those with you if you decide to go ahead with surgery. I hope this helps.

Jonathan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘9 year old rescue sharpei – spey or not?’ is closed to new replies.