Hair loss, dry crusting skin, red patches and aggressive behavoiur2018-05-21T09:55:12+00:00

Home page of the Shar Pei rescue Forums Ask a vet Hair loss, dry crusting skin, red patches and aggressive behavoiur

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, Able's backcan you please help Able. He is 4 1/2 years old and ended up with us a couple of years ago after my son was asked to dog sit him for a weekend only for his owner to disappear and never return. At the time he was underweight and suffering hugely with anxiety.

Over the past 18 months he began to smell badly from his ears and coat this eventually eased and he began to lose hair in what our PDSA scheme vet said was paintbrush hair loss. All tests for infections and parasites have found nothing though blood tests indicated an underactive thyroid and he has been on a supplement 0.4mg Thyforon for the past 6 months but it seems to have made no difference. On the vet’s advice, we moved him to a gluten free grain free diet for 3 months but this made little difference. I contacted Shar Pei rescue and was given advice by a member who was very familiar with the same symptoms and he advised moving to Dr John Silver food which he has tried for the past 3 months but his skin problems continued and now are what I would call chronic. We were also advised to use pure coconut oil on his dry and crusty skin to help moisturise it. This seemed to help for a couple of weeks but his skin is crusting despite it.

I contacted Shar Pei rescue and was given advice by a member who was very familiar with the same symptoms and he advised moving to Dr John Silver food which he has tried for the past 3 months but his skin problems continued and now are what I would call chronic. We were also advised to use pure coconut oil on his dry and crusty skin to help moisturise it. This seemed to help for a couple of weeks but his skin is crusting despite it.  He also became aggressive towards my wife growling barking and head butting her if she came between  Able and I. He was also sexually frustrated towards our other dog a bitch Staffordshire Bull Terrier who he has known for 2 1/2 years. The vet recommended having him castrated to help his behaviour, it made no difference. we were also provided with prescription shampoo but this makes no difference, we were showering him every other day but the vet said this was not helping and to use water to provide soothing.

Over the last 3 weeks Able has deteriorated and our PDSA vets practice (he has seen all 5 of the practice vets) and they have told us they cannot perform any more free tests and everything else is not covered by the PDSA scheme. They now want us to move to a Hills food diet for at least 3 months but at almost £2 a tin twice a day it is way beyond our financial capabilities as I am disabled and live on ESA and Personal Independence Payment. Able had this food following castration and refused to eat it. His ears are smelling and he is regularly scratching at them and I am using the ear cleaning preparation recommended by the vet.

I just don’t know what to do next. I’ve been unable to attach photographs showing the skin condition but can email them if you can give me an email address.

Please help in any way you can

Thank you

Melvin

mhurley142@hotmail.com

Jonathan Hadley
    Participant

Dear Melvin,

I’m sorry to hear about Able, it sounds like he is really struggling. Having ruled out ectoparasites I would think there is some form of allergic basis to his problem, compounded by secondary infections. A food trial is a good idea although as you are aware this can be costly, although a home made diet could be considered but care must be taken to ensure it is nutritionally sound. Alternatively he may be suffering from Atopy, a heightened response to common allergens. As a short-term measure to relieve his itching has he been given steroids, and if so did he respond? It may be worthwhile considering a second opinion, especially from a vet with a dermatological background. I would think that part of the aggression would be related to the skin condition, and relieving that may help him settle.

Jonathan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Hair loss, dry crusting skin, red patches and aggressive behavoiur’ is closed to new replies.