Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, the skin on our almost 10year old male shar Pei weeps watery blood. It’s not often but every now and again a small patch seems to appear. It can be somewhere on his head, legs or side and comes as quickly as it appears.

Ralph goes for 6mthly check ups but the vet never seems concerned. We’ve been given some cream to apply when it appears but, to be honest, I can’t tell whether it helps or not…

The weeping doesn’t seem to bother Ralph and his behaviour isn’t any different, I just wondered whether there is something I can do to stop it.

Thank you

Jonathan Hadley
    Participant

Hello Alex,

It sounds like Ralph is occasionally developing patches of wet eczema, or ‘hot spots’. These can occur when surface bacteria break the skin barrier possibly through trauma or scratching. The developing infection results in further scratching and a self-perpetuating lesion is established. There are a number of causes, including allergy and ectoparasites, which is why it is important to maintain good flea control in these cases. Treatment ranges from clipping the wounds and preventing the patient from self traumatising themselves, through to anti bacterial soaks or shampoos and potential topical or systemic medications. If the lesions persist in returning it may be beneficial to check for underlying reasons such as allergy.

I hope this helps,

Jonathan

Alex Holbrook
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan. There never seems to be any trauma, just sudden patches which luckily don’t seem to bother him – so far there have been no lesions but will keep an eye out ?? And we have a good flea prevention routine so fingers crossed it doesn’t develop into anything more and the cream we have continues to help.

Thank you for the advice – this is a really handy service ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Weeping skin’ is closed to new replies.